Tuesday, November 22, 2011
How to find #20
First you look at the number of the day and find the 1000s and tenths place.
Next you make a fraction. Use the number in the 1000s place for the number at the bottom of the fraction. Use the number in the tenths place for the number at the top of the fraction.
If the top of the fraction is greater than the bottom it is a improper fraction. If the top is less than the bottom it is a proper fraction.
Thursday, November 17, 2011
1.Make a ratio table
2.Put % on the left side and # on the right side
3.Put 100 under the percent sign
4.Put 124 under the number sign
5.Try to complete it using division or multiplication
6.You do exactly the same things on the same side
- 1) break 180 down to a friendly number. 180 = 100+80
- 2) Divide the % number to 100. 40% Divided by 100 = 0.4
- 3) Then multiply 0.4 to the friendly number 0.4 x 100 = 40
- 4) Divide the rest of the number 180 to 100. 80 Divided by 100 = 0.8
- 5) Multiply the answer to 40. 0.8 x 40 = 32
- 6) Then add 32 to 40. 32 + 40 = 72
Wednesday, November 16, 2011
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
*A RULE YOU MUST KNOW WHEN MAKING A RATIO TABLE:
-Whatever you do to the left side, you must do in the right side.
1. You must create a ratio table with a percent sign (%) on the left column & a number sign (#) on the right column.
2. On the percent column, you would have to put a 100 under it & any number under the number column.
3. You can multiply or divide to get your answer, but you cannot add nor subtract.
4. You can also add the numbers together when you multiply or divide them. But when you do, you'd have to do the same to the other side.
Show how to find each amount
How I found the amounts for #4
First I made a ratio table. Then I put the percent and the number. Next I divided both the percent and number by 2. I divided the number and percent by 2 again to get to 75 faster. The last thing I did was multiply both the number and percent by 3. That's how I got my answer!
1. Make a ratio table
2. Label the percent and number column
3. Put 100 under the percent
4. Then put your number, in this case 180
5. Divide and/or multiply to get to the asked percentage and in this case it's 40
6. Do the exact same thing to the other side.
Rule: Whatever you do to the left you do to the right.
Click here for a link.
Monday, November 14, 2011
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Change each fraction to a repeating
There is more but the numerator is just changing.. nothing really special. So here are the answers :
7 = 0.142857142857142857142857142857
E.g. : 0.285714285714285714285714285714
According to an article in the newspaper, 35% of Regina residents like winter. If the population of Regina is 178 000, how many people like winter? Show two different ways to find the answer
1.First start from 100%, because percentage is out of 100.
2.Second Divide or Multiply to get to the percentage asked.
3.Finally what ever you do on the right side do the same on the left side.
First you look at the fraction. Then on your calculator you put the number of the numerator and then press the divide sign, then you put the number of the denominator. When you press the equal button it will give you a number. Then you round it to the place value that the text book gives you.
-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)